You’ve likely already had your first Xmas do last week and even though frosty showed up you can’t believe the season to be jolly has arrived.
Personally, this is exactly where I am. Besides being far from ready for Xmas, I really don’t have a clue what happened to 2017 - I feel we were just getting started.
Getting started with what? I hear you ask. I don’t know, but it feels like time has been speeding up without me realising.
So, how can we get ourselves into the Xmas mode that others might already been enjoying (and let’s try this without instantly drowning our sorrows in mulled wine)?
Let’s try to stop and pause for 20 minutes or so, and think back to 365 days ago…Start thinking about where you were at different times this year.
1. Grab a piece of paper, create a time line and write down at least 5 significant events from the past year. It doesn’t have to be anything big, just moments that have a meaning, good or bad (like finding a new job, a break up, a holiday, building that Ikea pack -you name it).
2. For each event answer the following questions: What was important about this moment in 2017? What have you learned? What are you proud of? Who do you want to thank?
3. Step back – breathe and look at your timeline and dot down, what do you want more of, or leave behind, before you emerge into the season?
The following steps are the most important to get you really in the right Xmas spirit:
4. Now turn on some Xmas tunes: Wham, Mariah, Lennon, anything that floats your boat and start thinking about what gift you’ll like to give yourself to celebrate the fact that you survived another 365 days
5. So, let’s just embrace it as like all the other days this season might move so quickly that we could actually miss it and we’ll end up having the same conversation again in 2018.
Happy holidays everyone!